Cantonment and Century Residential Fire Safety Tips
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the top five causes of structure fires are cooking, heating, electrical, smoking, and candle usage. These potential fire causes are all extremely common occurrences in a residential structure; therefore, it is important to have a fire safety plan in place:
- Install and Use Smoke Alarms – Be sure to check the batteries at least once a month in every smoke alarm. Depending on the size of the structure, multiple alarms may be necessary, and should be placed strategically to cover all areas. Many smoke alarms come with “test buttons” which can be utilized to ensure your smoke alarms are in proper working order.
- Have a Fire Extinguisher Available – Different fire extinguishers are made for different materials. Depending on the type of structure and contents, a different type of fire extinguisher may be necessary. Visit the US Fire Administration website for more information on fire extinguisher selection.
- Make an Evacuation Plan – In the event of a fire at your home, it is imperative to have an evacuation plan already in place. Be sure to share this plan with all who reside in the home, and practice evacuation with both children and pets. Have a designated meeting area outside of the structure for everyone to gather if evacuation occurs.
- Check Wiring and Electrical Equipment Regularly – Flickering lights, a scorched smell, or frequently blow breakers may all be signs of a wiring issue in your home. Contact an electrical professional to address these types of issues. Along with structural wiring, you should regularly check appliances and electrical equipment for breaks or frays in cords, which provide a fire hazard.
- Keep Items Away from Open Flames – If burning candles, smoking, or cooking in the home, be sure to keep flammable items, such as curtains, towels, clothing, and cleaning chemicals away from hot surfaces and flames. Fire can spread rapidly once these kinds of items are ignited, making containment and suppression much more difficult.
In the unfortunate event that a fire causes damages to your home or business, know that SERVPRO of Northwest Escambia County is Here to Help. Serving Pensacola, Cantonment, Century, and surrounding areas, our professional team responds quickly to your disaster to begin the remediation process. For more information or to schedule service, give us a call at 850-466-3089 today!