Halloween Fire Safety
Glowing jack-o-lanterns and spookily illuminated ghosts are some of the most popular Halloween decorations around, however, these decorations can easily become a truly scary fire risk if not handled properly. With Halloween just a few days away, it is important to consider how to safely celebrate the holiday. To prevent the risk of fire when decorating for and celebrating Halloween, the National Fire Protection Association suggests the following tips:
- Use glow sticks or battery-operated candles, instead of flame lit candles, for your decorations.
- Provide children with flashlights or glow sticks to carry, as opposed to flame lit lanterns or candles, while trick-or-treating.
- If using corn stalks, dried flowers, or crepe paper as part of your decorations, be sure to keep these items away from any open flames, as they can catch fire very easily.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or extension cords. Check your plugged-in decorations periodically for overheating, frayed cords, or shorted out bulbs.
- Make sure all smoke detectors are in working order and avoid placing decorations in locations that block emergency exits.
- When choosing a costume, avoid long trailing fabrics.
SERVPRO of Northwest Escambia County wishes you a safe and happy Halloween! In the unfortunate event that you need fire damage assistance, know that we are Here to Help! To learn more about our fire damage services, please give us a call at 850-466-3089.